In 1866 Louis R. Chaffin, at the request of Apostle Erastus Snow, placed a gristmill in Cedar City. His son, Henry, ran it until 1868 when Louis returned from “The Muddy.” Adjoining land was purchased in 1875. Excavation by Alva Matheson proved the dirt floor basement to be 20 x 24 feet. Lava rock walls had an opening in east end. Upper walls were adobe with wood roof. Joseph Walker’s history states he was working in mill in 1881. Later it was destroyed by fire.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup