Homesteaders and settlers came in the 1870’s to the area 4700 South to 7200 West, north to the Great Salt Lake, northeast along it’s shore and the Davis County line to 4800 West and south to 4700 South. This area became Hunter Precinct in 1880 from the east part of Pleasant Green, and was named in honor of presiding Bishop Edward Hunter. The northern soil was too alkaline to farm. In 1881 the Utah Salt Lake Canal brought water to the central part. a 20′ x 30′ adobe chapel was erected in 1885 for religious meetings, 50th District School, and community activities. Hunter Branch became a ward in 1888. East of this site the 50th District School was built in 1891. The name was changed to Hunter School in 1906 and Whittier in 1908.
– – – – – –
The marker is located on the south face of a brick fence pillar along the fence line between Hunter Park and the LDS Hunter Chapel at 3665 S 6000 West. The pillar is the second pillar from the street and the fence is directly in line with Brook Hollow Drive where it intersects 6000 West.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup