The 18th Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one of the original 19 ecclesiastical wards of Salt Lake Valley, was organized Feb. 14, 1849. Early congregations consisted of families of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball and Newell K. Whitney. Meetings were held in boweries, then Brigham Young’s schoolhouse on East South Temple Street. In 1880 Don Carlos Young deeded a lot on A Street and 2nd Avenue where the original chapel, of Gothic Revival style, was built (Obed Taylor, architect) dedicated Jan. 14, 1883 demolished in 1973. This 18th Ward replica, dedicated June 27, 1980, remains a permanent example of early Utah Gothic architecture (Steven T. Baird, architect). The present site was acquired through an act of the Utah State Legislature in 1975. Original parts salvaged and used in the replica: steeple, cornerstone, window frames, doors, benches, pulpit, and the stained glass window.
18th Ward Boundaries: (*)
On the north by 7th Ave. (or Ensign Ward), east by C St. (or the 20th Ward), south by South Temple St. (or the 12th-13th Ward), and west by Main St. (or the 17th Ward).
1849 – one of the original nineteen wards into which Salt Lake City was divided in February, 1849. At the time of its organization the ward extended northward and eastward to the mountains
The first permanent settlers in the 18th Ward were Pres. Brigham Young and Elders Heber C. Kimball and Newel K. Whitney who, with their families, were the only residents of the ward for several years.
1856 – all that part of the 18th Ward lying east of Walnut St. (later A St.) was organized as the 20th Ward
1877 – boundary line was changed to Pine St. (C St.), its present boundary.
1904 – 18th Ward belonged to Salt Lake Stake, but when Salt Lake City was divided into four stakes in 1904, the ward became a part of Ensign Stake
1913 – The organization of Ensign Ward in 1913 diminished its northern boundary to 7th Ave.
The 18th ward is one of the original 19 wards in Salt Lake City in 1849, you can see the others on this page.
This is a gable roofed, gable facade chapel. The entrance pavilion has a frame cupola. There are buttresses between pointed arched windows. The building is symmetrically arranged with the roof cresting on the main gable. – D. Diana Johnson
The Eighteenth Ward was one of the original ecclesiastical divisions of Salt Lake City, for a few years inhabited only by President Brigham Young and Elders Heber C. Kimball and Newell K. Whitney. “In 1883 a fine brick chapel, erected by the Saints on A Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, was dedicated.” This structure was demolished about 1975 and a reconstruction, incorporating elements of the original building, was completed in 1979.