Garfield Beach railroad junction was built in 1905. In 1908, its post office was named Welby in honor of Rio Grande Railroad superintendent. The R.G.R.R. company drilled water wells, built soft water treatment plant, a round house, dance hall, pool hall, hotel, grocery and mercantile store, over 200 homes, and a three room schoolhouse. The first teachers were Ann Phoenix, Bernice Nelson, and Miss Johnson. Harold Nielson was doctor. The railroad company lost its contract and Welby began to fade. The store and school were razed in 1948.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup