In 1886, the Riverton branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints purchased choice land for a tithing yard from Samuel L. Howard, Sr., located between 12400 and 12600 South, one mile northeast of this park. Members brought one tenth of their crops and animals for their tithing. Freeman R. Lloyd first supervisor. On level ground was an office building, weight scales, a granary, large root cellar, haystacks, feed mangers and barn. The cattle yard and pasture sloped to the Jordan River. Nov. 28, 1913, George W. Bills bought the ground and the tithing yard was closed after 27 years of use.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup