These stones, quarried in Chalk Creek and hauled by oxen in 1854, were used in the foundation of the two-storied 30 x 40 adobe church building located in the Pioneer Fort one half block east of Main Street. Remodeled into one 30 x 60 hall with oval ceiling, it was used for church and school until 1900, when it became the Relief Society home for nine years. It then served many different purposes. Sold to Roy and Mary A. Dame in 1915, whose family financed this monument and steps.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup