The Lehi Hotel is the oldest standing Adobe Hotel between Salt Lake City and Denver. As early as 1853, Joseph Johnson Smith
operated a blacksmith and wagon shop on this site, which was inside the western wall of Lehi Fort. John Woodhouse expanded the shop into a general store in 1865, which he operated until 1886. Some of the building materials were surplus from Camp Floyd and are evident in the hotel lobby.
In 1887, Joseph Johnson Smith built a hotel for Sarah Ann Lilliard Smith, a plural wife. The hotel, convenient to the railroad, was referred to as the finest “sample” hotel in the territory. The two front rooms were used by drummers to display and sell their wares. Business was sometimes conducted through a low window on the east side of the building. Many businesses have occupied part of the building, including a saloon, a cigar and candy shop, a cafe, and a dentist office.
In 1929, Mary (Mame) Alice Smuin Thomas purchased the building for a family dwelling. When her children were grown, she periodically rented rooms. It was no longer used as a home after the 1960’s.
Carl and Dimple Mellor purchased the property from Lyall and Audrey Thomas Wilson family in 1997. They researched the hotel’s history and restored the original portion as authentically as possible. Some pioneer history can be seen through glass windows in the floor where the foundation of the old blacksmith and remains of an old pioneer well still exist. The outside of the original building remains the same.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup