In 1881, this building was constructed as the Lehi First Ward Relief Society Hall. It was used as a gathering place for meetings and to display and sell homemade goods. The adobe building was completed in 1883. Funds for materials came from bake sales, bazaars, dinners, gleaning of wheat and selling of Sunday eggs – eggs laid on the Sabbath. In the spring of 1883, John Beck, Lehi mine owner, provided funds for the completion of the building. Labor was donated by husbands of Relief Society members.
Many instances of spiritual outpourings are recorded as having taken place in this building. Eliza R. Snow, General President of the L.D.S. Relief Society, attended many meetings in this building and on one occasion interpreted the speaking of tongues. This hall was the scene of Sunday School and Primary classes as well as weddings, anniversaries and other social events. Utah’s local silk industry was sponsored and centered from this building. The Women’s Sufferage Association of Lehi was organized here. Many women in Lehi enjoyed gathering in the spirit of Relief Society.
The building was renovated in 1942 to be used as a residence. The exterior appearance has been altered, but there have been no additions to the original dimensions of the building. It is one of a few remaining Relief Society Halls still standing today.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup