This Building was constructed in 1890 as the retail furniture store of James Caffrey and Samuel Davis, partners in the firm Caffrey & Davis ( “Furniture, Carpets, and Wallpaper”), operating here until 1907, when it was purchased by Walter and Herbert Robinson. They, together with their brothers, formed the Robinson Brothers Music Co., which sold furniture and “musical merchandise.” In 1921, the building was purchased by Laura Senior. The Senior family added the rear addition with the second story and operated a confectionary, cafe, hotel, and billiard hall.
Through most of the 1930s, the Senior Hotel was one of three hotels operating in Springville. Following Laura’s death, title passed in 1931 to her son, Oliver, who lived here with his second wife, Priscilla, and his children, Max and Jaqueline. Max, Oliver’s son by his first marriage, worked as hotel clerk and later manager. The hotel and associated tourist court ( behind this building ) continued to be a family owned and operated venture through the 1960s, closing in the 1980s, after which the building sat vacant. In May 1995 Bradley and Elizabeth Petersen purchased the building and began an extensive restoration project to preserve and return it to use.