Only a few yards from this monument – to the Northwest – stood the Milo Andrus “Halfway House”, a comfortable and convenient two-story pioneer inn. The inn was one of several built along State Street in the 1850-80 period to care for the many south and northbound travelers. The Andrus Inn became known as the “Halfway House” because it was located midway between “Traveler’s Rest” at 6400 South State and Porter Rockwell‘s layout near the Point of the Mountain. If one were walking, riding horseback or in a buggy or ther (sic) horse-drawn conveyance, the Andrus place was always a welcome stop. Built in 1859 and the early part of the 1860’s, the Halfway House served as both a hotel and a family residence for 120 years. The structure was moved from here beginning in 1982 to the Pioneer Trails State Park in Salt Lake City after its history was authenticated by the State. The inn was actually a project of Lucy Loomis Tuttle Andrus, one of several wives of Milo. Lucy was a widow with children when Milo married her in 1850 as they were crossing the plains. At the time he was leader of some Church members who were enroute to Utah from England. After the group arrived in Utah, he worked hard to get them all situated. During the 1850’s Milo and his families were involved in the great Church colonization program. Locations they helped settle were Green River, Dixie and Cache Valley in Utah, and Oxford and the Salmon River Country in Idaho. They eventually bought 160 acres in the Dry Creek area of the Jordon Bottoms that included this land on State Street. This area is now part of the community of Crescent.
See other historic markers in the series on this page for SUP Markers.