, , ,





Related Posts:

Roswell, on returning to Springville, found his childhood sweetheart, Evaline Steel. They were married on October 6, 1880 in Salt Lake City at the home of Daniel H. Wells. Their first home was in Springville.

Roswell spent most of the next two years away from home working on the railroad. While he was away his father, Richard, went to “Union Bench” and took up land. He gave each of his son’s 10 acres. Roswell got the ground where the Mapleton Park is. They finally owned 100 acres. The ballpark is some of it. He owned 10 acres where the Beck’s home is also.

Roswell sold his home in Springville and came to Mapleton. They were among some of the first settlers in Mapleton. They built a two-room log house, called the “frame home” and later called the “summer kitchen” as they used it to cook in the summer.

Having been blessed with seven lovely children, the two-room house was replaced with a seven-room brick home at 65 South Center, in 1892. It is now on the Utah Historical Homes Register. It is constructed of red sand brick with white brick trim around the windows, door and at the corners. There are two steel beams that run through to hold it together. The trees surrounding the home are Silver Maple and White Ash. They were planted at the time the house was built. They are now designated as Heritage Trees.

In 1903 Roswell was called on a mission to the Central States. This call was gladly accepted, although it worked quite a hardship on the family. After he was there eleven months, his four-year-old daughter died with scarlet fever. Four other members of his family were seriously ill with the same disease. Roswell returned home with an honorable release. President Smith said his place was at home.

Evaline made all her own carpets, pillows, and feather beds. It was the girls’ task each night after school to sew a ball of carpet rags. By spring they would have enough for one room. One of the rooms still has the same wallpaper from when the house was built.

Duck picking was one of the tasks they did about every six weeks. A tub was placed in the middle of the room. Each one gathered around and picked all the feathers off. If the duck wasn’t held just so it often flapped its wings, sending feathers every which way. Soap was also made at home. It was the only soap they had for clothes, hair, hands and bath.

One of the yearly events that were outstanding was the traveling theater troupe, which for one week put on the latest and most popular plays. These troupes always stayed at the Birds.

A town hall was very badly needed so Roswell gave the ground on the park for a new town hall.

After the death of Roswell, Evaline moved to Provo to be near her three unmarried daughters. They had jobs in Provo. After the girls were married, she moved back to Mapleton. Roswell, Jr. lived in the two north rooms and Evaline had the two south rooms. A bath was added in the middle, which they both used, and the porch on the front was added.

After Evaline died, Floyd, son of Roswell, Jr., lived in the house. When Floyd died, Floyd’s son, Dwayne, lived in it, and then his son, Ronald, lived in it for a while. It is now owned by Morris Bird, a son of Roswell, Fr. Morris has added another bath and a kitchen, and arches between some of the rooms were made. Morris has also fixed a furnace in it. The north side is fixed so a library can be made for the town. This home is currently the Mapleton Historic Museum that under renovation.