Ephraim Sutton House
ca. 1940s. 2003
261 East 100 North
Status: Provo City Landmarks Register
After Mayor Abraham O. Smoot divided the lots in 1872, this parcel was purchased by Ephraim’s father, Isaac Sutton. Isaac deeded the lot to his oldest son, who then built the house in 1897. Isaac and Emma Sutton were early Mormon pioneers sent by Brigham Young to help settle Provo. Ephraim built a home very typical of what was popular in turn-of-the-century Provo. The home is Victorian-Eclectic, featuring neoclassical details on the front porch, heavy drip hoods of rusticated brick above the windows and doors, and segmental arch openings. Other artistically-noticeable details include the transom window above the front entrance with rusticated drip head, a half-round window above the porch, sitting in a small gablet, and gabled windows on the front and west facades.