The Post Office Department changed the name of Lower Crossing to Woodside. Among the first settlers were Hentry Hutchenson, Pete Peterson, Scott Miller, Joe Curtis, Bradley Rutts, Walker Carswell, Peter and Abe Liddell, the Sandersons, Colemans, Watertons, Turners, McPhersons, Pressets and Seamountains. The early community consisted of a railroad station, section house, and a water tank. Nearby was a farm owned by three Swiss brothers named Louis, Felix and Bert Presset. Pressets and Petersons raised sugar cane to press into sorghum and molasses. Honey, gathered from wild beehives, along with flour and salt shipped in from Salt Lake City provided their food basics. Poker Pete owned the only commercial establishment. He lived in a two-room cabin along with a stock of overalls, four, coffee, tabacco, salt and a large supply of whiskey and beer. He also had a table for playing poker.
The early population included Chinese section hands. Cattle outfits came to Woodside for their mail and freight. Dances were held in an abandoned log schoolhouse. Candles consisting of a string and Tallow soap (grease, ashes and rabbit brush), provided light. Slickam or fine ground sugar cane provided the floor. Felix Presset played the concertina with Tom Dilly accompanying him on the mouth organ.
Woodside’s population grew as demands on the railroad continued. Extentions were planned for a shorter route from Woodside to Salina across the San Rafael desert and Cedar Mountain. The population peaked at 300, sometime between 1910 and 1920. At that time the town included a railroad hotel, depot and many railroad houses. Several cattlemen used Woodside as their headquarters or operation, including Preston Nutter, the Mays, Downards and McPhersons.