A 7,425 foot adobe wall enclosing sixteen city blocks was built in Lehi City in 1854 a a protection against Indian depredations. While Brigham Young is often cited as saying it was better to “feed the Indians, instead of fighting them,” Mormons, like Americans everywhere, appropriated traditional Indian hunting and fishing grounds, and fenced off grazing and watering areas. Hunger forced Indians to raid Mormon cattle herds to prevent starvation of their people.
Indian difficulties in Lehi City were mild compared to other areas of the territory. An incident with one small local band, however, led to the construction of one of Lehi’s most unusual buildings, the Indian House, erected one block east from this marker.
As a reward for helping apprehend the murderers of William and Warren Weeks in Pole Canyon near Cedar Fort, Lehi Bishop David Evans had ward members build Ute chieftain Yan Tan an adobe house forty-two feet long and sixteen feet wide, divided into three apartments. Although the Indian House had a mud-and-willow roof and was floorless to allow for campfires, the Indians would only occupy the building during daylight hours. When night fell they would move into their nearby wickiups. After an Indian child died in the house, the superstitious Indians refused to inhabit it again. It was demolished around the turn of the century.