Lehi Fort Wall
Lehi was first settled by Mormon pioneers in the fall of 1850. Due to Indian difficulties elsewhere, local citizens were advised by church leaders to enclose their sixteen-block city with a protective adobe wall. Forms were first put into place then filled with wet clay. As the adobe hardened the forms were moved higher and another layer of adobe added.”
(To obtain one of the 128 lots inside the fort’s perimeter each family was required to assist in the building of the wall. )
The completed eight-foot tall wall was 7,425 feet in length. Entrances to the walled city could be gained only through massive gates at four intersections
By 1858 the sprawling U.W. Military base at nearby Camp Floyd removed the need for city fortifications and the wall was eventually leveled. Interpretive markers are also at the other corners of the historic fort wall.
This project was funded by grants from the Utah State Historical Society and Lehi City Corporation.