The Ezra Thompson Building is one of the few buildings in downtown Salt Lake City with Art Deco features. Built in 1924, the building’s relatively plain façade, vertical emphasis, and terra cotta cornice are indicative of early Art Deco influence.
Ezra Thompson, a successful mining entrepreneur and Salt Lake City mayor, sold the building to The Salt Lake Tribune in 1937. The Tribune was founded in 1870 as a strident, anti-Mormon newspaper. During the 1920s, however, the paper began to move toward a more moderate position advocating cooperation between religious groups.
Historic plaques/markers located here are:
- 100th Anniversary – Salt Lake Tribune
- Historic Block 70
- History of the Salt Lake Tribune
- Mark Twain on Salt Lake City
- Pony Express Division Headquarters
- Site of a Pony Express Station