The nearby DUP Marker says:
Heber C. Kimball, pioneer of 1847 and first counselor to Brigham Young, was allotted the land adjacent to this monument upon which to build homes for his family, the majority of whom arrived in 1848. He and Newel K. Whitney dedicated a plot of ground one-half block east as a private cemetery for both families. Buried therein are 33 Kimballs, 13 Whitneys and 10 others. Both Heber C. Kimball and Newel K. Whitney are interred in this sacred spot.
This is a private cemetery with- a large central monument to Heber C. Kimball and Newell K. Whitney, A stone retaining wall and an iron fence separate the cemetery from the street.
Heber C. Kimball was born June 14, 1801, at Sheldon, Vermont. He became an £ apostle of the L.D.S. Church in 1835 and in 1847 first counselor to President Brigham Young, in whose company he came to the Salt Lake Valley the same year. He received a large tract of land north of the Temple Square as his inheritance “where he settled his family and constructed mills. He died in 1868.” Whitney was Born in 1795, and was the second presiding bishop of the L.D.S. Church. He came to Utah in 1848 and died here in 1850. Whitney’s wife, Ann Houston Whitney, was the first person buried there after the cemetery was dedicated in 1848.
Thirty-three Kimballs, thirteen Whitneys, and ten others are reported to have been buried here before the site was closed in 1889. Since 1931 the property has been held and maintained by the L.D.S. Church.