St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, Utah’s oldest non-Mormon Church in continuous use. Begun in 1870-1871, completed 1882-1902.
Architect Richard Upjohn, Founder of A.I.A.
A fire in 1935 gutted the sanctuary, but the church was rebuilt following the original design.
The original plan for the Cathedral was drawn by Richard Upjohn. His
design called for an east-west transept on a Latin cross plan. The cornerstone was laid in 1870, but only part of the nave was built in 1871. However, the original plan was completed in two later stages, 1882 and 1902.
It was built of red sandstone, cutstone, and rubble, with one story,
a basement and a gabled roof. The belfry and chimney are extensions of
the facade. The nave windows have Gothic arches; the; gables contain rose
windows. Arched roof beams are supported on hammerbeams and stone corbels. The stained glass windows represent the tastes of a ninety-year period and include several from Tiffany Studios.
Several alterations have been made. The east transept and an organ
were added in October 1882; the west transept and chancel were added in
1902 (architect: Mr. Hall). The west transept and chancel were rebuilt
after fire on March 31, 1935. The interior alterations to the main and
second floor were by architects, Snedaker & Macdonald (November 1946).
The front was extended with a new vestibule and cloisters were added in
1958 (architect: Ashley T. Carpenter). The balcony and organ were installed at rear of nave in 19&7 by Mr. Carpenter. Present condition of fabric is excellent. The additions obscure, but have not changed, the original building.
St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral is the oldest non-Mormon cathedral in
Utah and probably the oldest religious structure in continuous use in
Salt Lake City. It was designed by famed architect, Richard Upjohn,
architect of the Trinity Church, New York City, and founder and first
president of the American Institute of Architects. It is said to be the
last church designed by Mr. Upjohn and is a good example of his Gothic
Revival style. Its location in Utah is significant.
Now owned by the Corporation of the Episcopal Church of Utah, 1911,
St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral, Parrish of Salt Lake City, Utah, who
held the cornerstone centennial celebration April, 1970. This lovely
cathedral sits in downtown Salt Lake City as a monument to a great architect and pioneer church construction in Utah.