The First National Bank Building features the oldest known cast iron facade in the Internountain West. It was designed by Richard M. Upjohn, one of America’s most distinguished 19th century architects. The building originally had a fourth story which was destroyed by fire in 1875.
First National Bank was spectacularly profitable when it constructed this building in 1873. By the end of 1874, the bank had been liquidated. The depression of 1873 and liberal lending practices were the main cause of the bank’s demise. Its expensive new building, however, contributed to its financial woes. Originally estimated to cost $80,000, the building ended up costing $140,000.
See other buildings on Salt Lake’s Main Street on this page.
There is also a monument in front of this building to the Pony Express Station that used to be in this location.
The old Studio Theater was also located here.