(475 W 400 S in Salt Lake.)
Site of the First Greek Orthodox Church in Utah
Est. Oct. 29, 1905
The first Greek immigrants arrived in Utah in the late 1800s. They came looking for a better life and by 1905 they determined it was time to establish a church in their new land. On January 22, 1905, a general meeting of all Greeks in the area was called. Over 200 met in the Odd Fellows Building in Salt Lake City to organize the Greek Community of Utah.
Within a few months the property located here at 439 West 400 South was purchased and a loan of $7,000 was negotiated for construction of the church. In April 1905 the first Greek Orthodox priest, Archimandrite Parthenos Lymberopoulos, arrived from Greece. He officiated at the first liturgy of the Greek Orthodox Church in Utah on Sunday, May 26, 1905, at a temporary place of worship on the third floor of the National Bank Building on Main Street and First South. On that day the official life of the Greek Orthodox Church in Utah began.
On Sunday, October 29, 1905, the new church was dedicated on this site in an elaborate religious ceremony and was given the name Holy trinity Greek Orthodox Church. In 1920 the Greek Community took steps to build a larger church. The original church on this site was sold for $18,000. A new site was purchased on the corner of Third South and Second West (now 300 West) for $20,000. The cornerstone of the new, traditional style Byzantine church, also named Holy Trinity, was laid on August 28, 1923. It was consecrated on August 2, 1925.
Pingback: Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church | JacobBarlow.com