Tags

, , , , , ,

2016-08-16-13-50-59

Ecker Hill Ski Jump

Completed in 1929, Ecker Hill became one of the premier ski jumping hills in the world during the 1930s and ’40s. National meets were held here regularly during that period, and several world records were broken on the hill by Alf Engen.  The national and international fame of Ecker Hill established Utah as a prime ski center in the West and helped launch skiing as one of the state’s principal industries. After hosting the national championships in 1949, Ecker Hill’s prominence declined as larger, more professional jumping facilities were constructed both in this country and in Europe, and as downhill skiing emerged as the major attraction for ski enthusiasts.  Ecker Hill was used decreasingly until the last jumps were made here in the early 1960s.

2016-08-16-14-00-35

(Looking down on Ecker Hill)

In 1929, local ski-jumping enthusiasts Axel Andresen, Marhinius Strand and Peter Ecker conceived the idea of creating a world-class jumping facility at this site, then known as Rasmussen Ranch.

Through the diligent efforts of many supporters and the Rasmussen family, the jump became a reality.  In a dedication ceremony on March 2, 1930, Governor George H. Dern named the hill after Ecker, then President of the Utah Ski Club.

Ecker Hill attracted amateur and professional jumpers from all over the world to compete in events that drew thousands of spectators.  Alf Engen, who came to Utah from Norway in 1929 broke five world records here and became recipient of the “Skier of the Century” award.

Calmar Andresen, one of Utah’s amateur champions, lost his life here during a state tournament on February 22, 1934.  The last official competition at this site was held in the early 1960’s.  This monument serves as a memorial to Calmar Andresen and as a tribute to the  achievements of Alf Engen and the other daring jumpers at Echer Hill.

Advertisements