Pioneer Home of Erastus Goddard and Josephine Nixon Whitehead
Build in the 1880’s by George Whitehead for his brother Erastus “Ras” Whitehead. The foundation is lava rock. The walls are adobe brick, hand made from straw, clay and horsehair. Beams and wood structures are nailed with handmade square head nails. Erastus and his father owned the A.R. Whitehead and Son Mercantile Store on Tabernacle Street which was a very successful business. He and Josephine had seven children, who were raised in this home. Erastus died in 1906, at the age of 34.