This Historical Marker is located on the north side of US Highway 89 about 33 miles east of Kanab or 23 miles west of Big Water.
In 1865 Peter Shirts made the first settlement in this area. Other pioneers followed but were forced to vacate because of Indian raids. The town was resettled upstream in 1870; church and school buildings were erected under the direction of William Meeks, presiding elder of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The post office was established prior to 1893. Considerable progress was made in farming and stock raising until repeated floods destroyed property, forcing the inhabitants to leave.