The Sun-n-Sand Motel is located at 347 South 100 East in Kanab, Utah
On December 17, 1901, the first church in Orderville was dedicated by Apostle A. O. Woodruff of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This bell hung in the tower and was used each Sunday to call people to church. It was also used to warn people of fires until the building was torn down in 1956.
The Thunderbird opened in 1940, making it one of Utah’s oldest restaurants that is still around. The sign outside this family-owned restaurant advertises “ho-made” pies because the first owner, Ed Myers, couldn’t find a board big enough to write out the whole word. Now his grandson operates the restaurant.
I love the cool vintage neon sign.
Located at 4530 State Street in Mount Carmel Junction, Utah
Built c. 1890 and remodeled in 1923-24 after a fire, the Mount Carmel School and Church is historically significant as the only remaining building in Mount Carmel that served the community’s educational and religious needs. Built to
replace an earlier log schoolhouse, the building served concurrently as both church and school for over twenty-five years. It was also used as a civic meeting place and for dances and other recreational and cultural activates. After the fire, school children were transported to the nearby town of Orderville to attend school, and from 1924 until 1961 the building was used primarily as a church house. With the exception of the old log schoolhouse, which has long-since been demolished, this building is the only school or church facility that was ever constructed in Mount Carmel.
- The Isaac Behunin Monument was located here.
Mount Carmel was first established in 1864-65 by several families of Mormon pioneers as part of the general colonizing effort in the Utah Territory by members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon
church). Indian depredations led to the abandonment of the settlement in 1866, and it was not until 1871 that the town was permanently resettled. Farming and livestock raising were the principal means of livelihood in the community for decades. The town has always been small, never more than 150-200 people, and the only businesses until recent years were small mercantile and grocery stores operated from private homes.
The first school in Mt. Carmel was established in a log building in 1880, nine years after the town was permanently settled. That building served as a one-room school, church, and recreation hall for the town until the stone
schoolhouse was constructed in the 1890s. A published history of the town provides the following description and history of the Mount Carmel School.
The rock for the building was hauled by team and wagon from a hill about a mile south of town. Later a lumber wing was added, making it into a two-room school. At first the floors were of rough pine lumber. Then hardwood floors were installed, which made them “nicer for dancing.”
In 1864 John, Joseph and Robert Berry, their families and others settled in Berryville. The church called more families in 1865. The town was abandoned because of Indian depredations in 1866 when Robert, his wife Isabell and Joseph Berry were killed by Indians. In 1871 settlers from the Muddy Mission came. The name was changed to Glendale. Each family received land in proportion to their number. A grist mill, saw mill, and public building were erected. James Leithead was first bishop, Warren M. Johnson first school teacher.