670 S Main St in Heber City, Utah
The Capitol Motel at 1749 State St in Salt Lake City, Utah.
They used to have a really cool vintage sign before it was blown down and replaced but a cool, but not as cool sign.
It was built in 1931 by brothers in law Marinus J. Gerrltse and Frank DeNigtre who had immigrated from the Netherlands. Prior to that they ran the Wasatch Service Station south south of here.
Had you visited the Silver Spur Motel in Durango, Colorado and asked for room #5, you would have stayed in the room John Wayne preferred while filming some of his most famous western films such as How the West Was Won and The Cowboys. This classic sign, circa 1962, was saved for you to enjoy here at Hole ‘n the Rock in Utah.
I love all the old vintage motels I see around Utah, along with their cool vintage signs. In the 50’s and 60’s the idea of going on a road trip really took off and these classic roadside motels were popping up everywhere, they went through stages of auto courts (motel rooms often with a garage for the car), motels, motor lodges and more.
I decided to start keeping a list of them and that is what this page will be for.
- All Star Motel in Salt Lake City.
- Alta Motel in Salt Lake City.
- Apache Motel in Moab.
- Astro Motel at 323 S Main St in Cedar City.
- Atomic Motel in Moab.
- Big “D” Motel in St. George.
- Blue Pine in Panguitch.
- Bradfield Motor Lodge in Salt Lake.
- Brunger Motel in Mt. Pleasant.
- Canyon Inn in Panguitch.
- Capitol Motel at 1749 S State St in Salt Lake City.
- Carolina Pines in St. George.
- Colombian Inn in Provo.
- Colonial Motor Court in St. George.
- Continental Motel at 819 W North Temple in Salt Lake.
- Country Paradise Motel in Gunnison.
- Delano Motel in Beaver.
- Eagle’s Roost in Beaver.
- El Pace’o Lodge in St George.
- El Rey Motel in Cedar City.
- Galaxie Motel in Brigham City.
- Hail’s Motel in St. George.
- Hall’s Campground was one of the earliest, cabins where Nisson Park is now located in Washington.
- The Haven Motel in St. George.
- Hi-Way 89 Lodge in Panguitch.
- Hotel Utah Motor Lodge in Salt Lake.
- Imperial 400 Motel in Ogden.
- Lunt Motel in Salt Lake.
- Main Street Motel in Salt Lake
- Milne Motor Court (Dixie Palms Motel) in St. George.
- Mission Auto Court in Price.
- Mountair Motel in Richfield.
- Motel St. George in St. George.
- New America Motor Lodge at 5th South & Main in Salt Lake.
- New Valley Café and Motel in Orderville.
- Ranch Motel in Salina.
- Red Cloud Lodge in Vernal.
- River Side Tourist Park in Provo.
- Robber’s Roost Motel in Green River.
- Royal Inn Motel in Provo.
- Rugged West Motel in St. George.
- Safari Motel in Nephi.
- Sands Motel in Kanab.
- Sands Motel in Panguitch.
- Sands Motel in St. George.
- Scenic Motel in Salt Lake.
- Siesta Motel in Salt Lake.
- Sleepy Lagoon in Beaver.
- South Pine in Beaver.
- Spiking Tourist Lodge in Salt Lake.
- Spinning Wheel (originally Robinson Hotel) in Fillmore.
- The Stag Motel in Beaver.
- Stardust Motel in St. George.
- Starlite Motel in Nephi.
- Sun-n-Sand Motel in Kanab.
- Tom’s Deluxe Cottages in Panguitch.
- Twin Oaks in St. George.
- Uptown Motel in Salt Lake.
- Utah Motel in Moab.
- Western Safari Motel in St. George.
- World Motor Hotel in Salt Lake.
- Zions Motel (formerly Tourist) at 1829 S State St in Salt Lake City.