Nelson – Mathis Mercantile
The date the original structure was built on these premises is unknown, but Will and Ernest Nelson owned and operated their mercantile on this site until 1924 when they took in a partner, Gordon Mathis.
It was then that a new facade featuring the prism glass windows was added. The building was restored to its original appearance in 1992. Included in that restoration is what is believed to be the original tin ceiling and fir floor.
Added in 1920, St. George’s only remaining sidewalk elevator can be seen in front of the store. Recipient of the mayor’s award for historic sites for the year 1992.
Pingback: St. George, Utah | JacobBarlow.com