Elsinore White Rock Schoolhouse
From its early beginnings in 1896, the White Rock School Building has occupied a prominent place in Elsinore. The building was constructed 23 years after Mormon converts from Scandinavia established Elsinore in 1873. The school was the community educational center as well as a place for social and religious gatherings.
Construction of the building commenced in 1896 and was completed in 1898. The white rock was quarried from a mountain 12 miles southeast of Elsinore near the Piute-Sevier county line. The quarried rock was transported by wagon from the quarry to the construction site. Most of the freighters were only able to make one trip per day but N.P. Anderson, a Dane, became the exception by making two trips each day.
John Marinus Johnson, a stone cutter and mason trained in America, contracted to build the school according to plans prepared by architect T.T. Davis. The stone work done by Johnson and his sons exemplify a remarkably high quality of stonework.
Most of the able bodied men of Elsinore participated in the construction of the School. Carl and Hans Johnson, Niels Anderson were the blacksmiths on the project. Peter “Wheelmaker” Christensen, a wheelmaker by trade, kept the rock bearing wagons in repair. Tenders and mud mixers were Ras Nielson, Chris “Cute” M. Anderson, Hans Johnson, Jim Hermansen, Fred Lott, and Chris Christiansen. Chris Christopherson did a great deal of the brick work, including the chimney. The carpenters were Christian Canutson and James “Black Jim” P. Hansen.
In 1980, 10-year-old Jason Hardman petitioned Elsinore’s mayor for permission to open a library. The library was initially set up in the basement of the town’s public school (the historic town hall building), with 1,000 books. Hardman became the librarian, making him the youngest librarian in the United States. By 1982, the library had 10,000 volumes, which largely came from donations. By 1985, it had 17,000 volumes.
Elsinore Community Center
This Community Center, like most of its counterparts in Utah’s small predominantly Mormon communities, is the social center of the area. It also houses the town’s library.