, , , , ,

2017-03-26 17.49.47

During the winter of 1866-1867, William Cordingly built a small log cabin in the settlement of Alma, and by early spring the house was ready for his family. Indian troubles forced some of the original settlers to abandon their homes and leave this community. In 1871, when they returned, the name of the town was changed to Monroe.

One of the first families to occupy the cabin was that of Neila Mickelson. The Soren and Kristine Madsen family soon followed. Sunday School and choir practice were held here as well as many public functions.

In 1931, Camp Alma, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, decided to procure the Cordingly cabin for a relic hall. Dwight Swindle, on whose lot the cabin stood, gave the cabin to Camp Alma. In 1937, the husbands of the members along with other townspeople helped jack up the cabin and move it to the northeast corner of the Monroe North Ward property.

The cabin had no roof, floor, windows or foundation. Renovation began. Industrious members sewed and wove twelve large balls of rags together for the rag carpet. They lined the walls, covered the ceiling with White Factory and painted the interior. Many relics were given to furnish the cabin, and on May 27, 1938, Camp Alma held its first meeting in the new Relic Hall. On July 23, 1950, the cabin was moved to its present site on Main Street.

DUP Marker #468 in Monroe, see other DUP Markers here.

2017-03-26 17.50.01

2017-03-26 17.50.12