In the spring of 1871, Harry Dalton, James Powell, and their families traveled across Sevier Valley to Omni Point at the base of Cove Mountain. In early fall that same year, the Edward Killick Roberts and John Gleave families moved from Glenwood to Omni Point. These four families became the first settlers of the town that was to become known as “Annabella.” The town was named after two of the first woman settlers: Anna Roberts and Isabella Dalton. Through hard work and diligence, the settlers built homes, cleared the ground, planted crops, and established a town.
Small springs at Omni Point supplied water for the first few families; but, as more families arrived and settled down in the valley, water from a spring in Red Butte Canyon was drawn for culinary use. Irrigation water was diverted from lakes on the mountain, through Cottonwood Canyon. Settlers commenced building the Annabella Canal in 1871, and they began watering crops in 1872.
The first homes were dugouts but were soon replaced with log and adobe cabins with dirt floors. Sawmills were established in the 1800s on Cove Mountain. Logs were cut and trimmed, hauled to the saw mills, and then cut into lumber. Better homes were later built of brick. The first schools were held in log cabins. A two-story hall was constructed with classrooms on the first floor. The social hall, located on the second floor, was used for dances, plays, and social gatherings. A new brick school house was built in 1920.
In February of 1911, Annabella was established with a town government. On July 3, 2011, Annabella celebrated its 100 Year Anniversary, honoring its pioneer heritage.
DUP Marker #569 in Annabella, see other DUP Markers here.