Dr. Ellis Reynolds Shipp Park
Dr. Ellis Reynolds Shipp 1847-1939 When Dr. Ellis Reynolds Shipp graduated from Women’s Medical College in Philadelphia with a specialty in obstetrics and diseases of women and children, she returned to Salt Lake City to practice medicine and to open her school of Obstetrics and Nursing in 1878. Dr. Shipp trained thousands of midwives and nurses and delivered over 5,000 babies not only in Salt Lake, but in many other parts of Utah as well. She was a member of the first Board of Directors of Deseret Hospital which was founded in 1882. For most of her life she lived and practiced medicine on Second Avenue, just a few blocks from this park.
Park name submitted by Meg Brady 1987