Wight’s Fort Cemetery
In the fall of 1854, construction on a fort began about 100 yards northwest of this cemetery. The uncertainty caused by the Walker Indian War and Brigham Young’s urging to “Fort Up” had created a flurry of fort building that year. This fort was constructed from stones, med, and logs, the walls being twelve feet high. The fort enclosed two and one-half acres, seven log cabins, several other buildings and a part of Bingham Creek, which at that time had a “nice flow of water.” The fort was named for the Lewis and Nancy Wight family including two sons. With the Wights were John Irving, Joseph Stacy, J.H. Murdock, John Loveless, John Elmer, and Sheldon Cutler who worked on the fort through the winter. The fort was finished and occupied by the spring of 1855.
The cemetery was located on this site after the pioneers had discovered the grave of an Indian baby. Lewis’ son, Lyman and his wife, Harriet, buried their firstborn child near the Indian grave. Later John Irving buried his son here also. From that point, the area became a community burial ground. There are many unmarked graves.