Pioneer Telegraph Office
S.U.P. Marker #D (see other S.U.P. Markers here.)
Location: 73 South Main, SLC
In 1955 the famed sculptor Ortho Fairbanks created this marker located at the spot where the transcontinental telegraph lines were connected October 24, 1861. In 2007 the monument was removed during the construction of the City Creek Center and was replaced near the same spot and rededicated October 24, 2011.