Primary Children’s Hospital
One hundred yards west of this plaque was once the home of Primary Children’s Hospital and served as a refuge for ill and injured children. Erected in 1952, the red brick hospital was literally build with love. Each of the 120,158 bricks were purchased by youngsters for ten and twenty cents. Over its forty year history, thousands of children from around the world were helped at the hospital.
The Penny Parade, conducted by the Primary organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, collected funds (a penny for every years of age) to provide medical care for children who could not pay. For many, the hospital became a home away from home. Windows and balconies overlooking the Valley, gave a view of the outside world and hope for a brighter future.
The cornerstone of the Medical Center was preserved and is located in the park just west of the plaque.