The flagpole is the site of the original Sandy School, built in 1908.
Today’s building was erected in 1951 with a major addition in 1972.
A complete renovation of the school took place in 2005 because of a fire in 2004.
As a result of an automobile accident in 2006 the rock masonry suffered extensive damage to the historic marker.
The flagpole monument was restored in honor of the veteran’s memorial of 1953.
The people of the Sandy community dedicate this monument to those of her brave and loyal sons and daughters who answered their country’s call when the freedoms we cherish were in jeopardy. In this memorial we express our deep gratitude for their contribution toward preserving our democratic way of life.
Most humbly we pay tribute to those noble patriots who paid the supreme sacrifice for God and Country in the service of their native land.