955 East South Temple
Designed and built in 1911 by noted architect Bernard O. Mecklenburg, this example of a large twentieth century brick Foursquare type home is well-preserved. It features a hip roof, dentil molding, brick quoins, and a full-width front porch. The home was built for the notable early Salt Lake City physician Walter S. Ellerbeck, and wife Ellen Lunt. Dr. Ellerbeck was born in Salt Lake City in 1872, attended public schools in Salt Lake City, and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1894. He then moved back to Utah and practiced medicine in Salt Lake for 31 years, until his death in 1927. In 1930, ownership of the home was turned over to Walter and Ellen’s son, George L. Ellerbeck, who managed the Utah Power and Light Company in Ogden. The home remained in the Ellerbeck family until 1955.
Pingback: Historic Homes and Buildings in the South Temple District | JacobBarlow.com
Pingback: South Temple Historic District | JacobBarlow.com