Located at 411 East 100 South, Salt Lake City is this Victorian style home was designed by Richard Kletting ( the architect for Utah’s State Capitol ). It was built of a special burned red brick made In Denver. The exterior decoration is native cut sandstone. The detailed exterior work is in tin. The foundation is red sandstone from the Red Butte Canyon area east of Salt Lake City.
There are three floors and a basement which contains the laundry, furnace room, and two storage rooms. On the main floor is located a vestibule, alcove, front hall, living room, dining room, parlor, kitchen, pantry, and back porch. On the second floor there are two bedrooms, a master bedroom, which has a dressing room connecting it to the bath, and a maid’s room with its own oath. Located in the third floor are two bedrooms and a playroom extending the full front width of the house.
Perhaps the most striking characteristic of the interior is the two story stained glass window which faces the west and the beautiful woodwork. The doors of the vestibule are of oak and contain frosted glass. The front
hall woodwork is oak. The living room is decorated with maple trim. The
dining room oak trim and the parlor with mahogany trim.
The main floor rooms have hardwood parquet floors. The double doors
connecting the rooms are made of two types of wood each side of which is
particular to that room.
Each of the main floor rooms and each bedroom has its own fireplace.
The dining room fireplace is especially noteworthy because of its detailed inlaid wood.
The home was built with both electrical and gas lighting fixtures. The home was heated with a coal furnace and a hot water system which has been converted to gas.
The home was built in 1890 for Dinwoody’s third wife, Sara Kinersley. Mr. Dinwoody was a polygamist who had joined the Mormon Church in his native land England in 1847. Henry Dinwoody and his first wife, Ellen Gore, left Liverpool for the United States in September 1849. After landing in New Orleans the Dinwoody’s journeyed upriver to St. Louis where they remained until 1855 when they emigrated to Utah.
Once in Utah, Dinwoody began to practice the skills of a carpenter and builder that he had learned in England, He constructed a frame building and began manufacturing furniture. This business, known as the H. Dinwoody Furniture Company grew to become the leading furniture establishment west of the Missouri and east of San Francisco. The furniture store served all of Utah and parts of Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, and Arizona.
The store was an important part of the Mormon economy; and through his enterprise, Dinwoody became one of Utah’s wealthiest and most influential citizens.
In addition to his furniture business, Dinwoody was a director of
several local businesses, banks, and insurance companies. He was also
active in local political affairs serving as a member of the city council.
During the polygamy raids of the mid 1880’s Henry Dinwoody was incarcerated in the territorial prison for unlawful cohabitation. During his
incarceration Ellen, his first wife, died. Dinwoody was allowed to attend
the funeral but was returned to prison without being permitted to attend
Henry Dinwoody died in 1905 and his third wife, Sara Kinersley Dinwood
in 1908, The home was inherited by their daughter Mrs. James H. Moyle.
The Moyle family lived in it from 1908 to 1917 arid 1920-1929. From 1917
to 1920 the home was rented to U.S. Senator William H. King. The home was vacant from 1929 to 1931 at which time James D. Moyle, a grandson of
Henry Dinwoody, purchased the home and lived there until 1952. The present owners, Mrs. & Mr. Nephi E. Maclachlan, acquired the house in 1952 and have been successful in their diligent efforts to preserve the integrity of the home.
The significance of the home is primarily in its association with Henry Dinwoody. After his arrival in Utah, Dinwoody worked his way from
a poor emigrant to become one of the Interrnountain West’s most successful businessmen.
The home also has great merit as one of the state’s most beautiful Victorian style homes.
The home was added to the National Historic Register (#74001936) on July 24, 1974.