University Neighborhood Historic District
Dr. Leo F. and Irene S. Hummer House
This house was constructed in 1913 for Leo Francis and Irene Stark Hummer. Dr Hummer was originally from Iowa and made his way to Utah in 1905 to serve an internship with Holy Cross, an early Utah Catholic hospital. Dr Hummer served as a physician in Utah until his death in 1946. Also active in politics, Dr. Hummer served two terms in the Utah State Legislature during the 1930s. Mrs. Hummer resided in the house until 1949, when it was sold to Rutherford and Anna Rowell. The bungalow swelling retains its historic integrity and contributes to the character of the University Neighborhood Historic District; key features of the home include its sleep multi-window shed dormer, exposed rafters, dentilled cornice, recessed full-width front porch, and half-timbered rafter ends.