The north portion of this building was constructed in 1898 at a cost of $3,000. It was the largest Main Street structure built after the 1898 fire which destroyed Park City’s commercial district. The south section of the building was added around 1905.
The frame construction with rectangular gable roof and modified false front is a typical example of the vernacular commercial buildings of turn-of-the-century Park City. The facade originally included a canopy and second floor balcony, as well as a different window configuration.
The building was originally occupied by E.D. Sutton & Co., which established a grocery and meat business in Park City in 1890. Because the second floor was used as a meeting palce for the Masons and other social organizations, the building was called Social Hall. The ground floor has been used by various commercial concerns in recent years, and also housed the Park City offices for Summit County services. The upper floors have long been used as rental apartments.