Rocky Mountain Bell Telephone Office
This two-story structure was designed by Richard Kletting, who at the turn of the century was considered Utah’s foremost architect. Attesting to the company’s confidence in Park City’s future, Rocky Mountain Bell Telephone purchased the land in July, 1898, only a month after the devastating fire which destroyed most of the Main Street commercial district. The building, completed later that year, was used as an office to serve the company’s local clientele, and when Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Company purchased Rocky Mountain Bell in 1911, the building was retained for the same purpose.
In 1964 the building was sold. Since that time it has housed a real estate office, clothing store and, currently, a restaurant. The second floor has generally been used for living quarters.
The structure played a significant role in developing communication in this burgeoning mining town. It has had only minor alterations since it was built, and is typical of the Victorian commercial buildings constructed in its time.