The Canute Peterson House
Constructed of local brick and stone in 1869 by Canute Peterson and his eldest son, Peter, this house (as well as the two homes just north built for his other two wives) is significant as one of Ephraim’s oldest pioneer homes and as the home of one of Utah’s most prominent citizens. A native of Norway, Canute Peterson joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in 1842 after immigrating to the United States in 1837. He returned to Scandinavia as a missionary in 1852-56, and as a president of the Scandinavian Mission from 1871-73. Appointed Bishop of Ephraim by Brigham Young, Canute Peterson moved from Lehi to Ephraim in 1867 where he constructed this house two years later. From 1877 to 1900 he was president of Sanpete Stake; then it was divided and he became president of the South Sanpete Stake. He was ordained a patriarch by George Q. Cannon on May 15, 1892. Under his leadership local cooperative economic enterprises were instituted. During the construction of the Manti Temple, he served as assistant superintendent to architect W.H. Folsom, Canute Peterson lived in this home until his death in 1902.