When first constructed in 1906, the New York Hotel provided luxurious accommodations for travelers. The building offered steam heat and electric lights in every room while advertisements assured all guests of excellent service.
The hotel features an attractive entrance canopy supported by cast iron columns on high sandstone bases. Also note the curvilinear gable where the building’s name appears in large block letters. In the mid-1970s, the New York Hotel was renovated to house restaurants and office space. The pioneering project was one of the first in Salt Lake City to adapt an historic building for a new use. Its success brought new life to an historic building and a declining area of downtown.
Located at 42-60 West Market Street in Salt Lake.