The Oquirrh School, constructed in 1894, is significant as a representational example of the schoolhouses constructed as a result of the education reforms and development of the public school system that accompanied Utah’s campaign for statehood in the 1890s. Reforms include the consolidation of school districts, the adoption of a statewide curriculum and and the construction of numerous unified schoolhouses. The Oquirrh School was one of the first to be built and as such embodies the earliest ideologies and practices of public education in Utah. The Oquirrh School is also architecturally significant because it was one of the first public schools built in Salt Lake City and is an excellent example of late Victorian institutional architecture implementing a combination of the Romanesque and Second Renaissance Revival styles. The school can also be considered the work of a master, namely the regionally prominent architect Richard K. A. Kletting, who also designed several emblematic Utah buildings.
Located at 350 South 400 East in Salt Lake.