This house is significant as the residence of Francis Armstrong for whom it was built in 1892. He was an entrepreneur, civic leader and Mayor of Salt Lake. It is significant also as one of the finest example of Queen Anne Style architecture in Salt Lake City.
Armstrong was born October 3, 1839 in Plainmiller, Northumberland, England, to William Armstrong, a machinist, and Mary Kirk. The family emigrated to Canada in 1851. At nineteen Francis went to Missouri and then in 1861 drove an ox-team to Salt lake City, His early employment in sawmills led eventually to a partnership in Taylor, Romney, & Armstrong Lumber and Construction, the foundation of a considerable fortune. At the time of his death in 1899 he was President of the Utah Commercial Savings Bank, the Western Valley loan & Trust Company/ the Utah Power and Light Company, Vice-President of Taylor, Romney & Armstrong Company, and a director of many other firms.
He was active in public affairs, elected to a number of city and county offices in the 1870’s and 1880’s and to the office of Mayor of Salt Lake City in 1886 and in 1888. Hs had been elected to his second term as chairman of the Board of County Commissioner shortly before his death in 1899.
On December 10, 1864 he married Isabelle Sidoway, by whom he had eleven children. In May of 1870 he took a second wife, Sarah Carruth. She died in 1883, survived by only one of her seven children. A member and staunch supporter of the LDS Church, he was remembered for his blunt integrity, energy, and determination in public and business life rather than for involvement in church governance.
Armstrong’s widow occupied the house until her death, December 11, 1930. In 1931 the house passed to Mary Hannah Armstrong Madsen. Following her death the house passed to her husband Richard W. Madsen in 1933. Madsen was manager of the Standard Furniture Co, President of the Western Loan & Building Co. and of the Utah State National Bank.
The house stood vacant for several years and in 1934 was converted into apartments, Madsonia Realty received title in 1953 following his death. Jones O. and Amelia Petersen received title the same year and resold it to Ira and Myrtle
H. Oviatt. They sold it to George W and Martha Linnes in 1974 and they resold it to Navalco of Utah the same year. Navalco sold it to Armstrong Manor Associates in 1980 and they deeded a 48 8/10 undivided interest to Suzanne Carson Erickson the same year.
Located at 667 East 100 South in Salt Lake.