Museum and Fire House
Library – Circa 1941
The museum building started as a library and was one of only two National Youth Administration (NYA) projects in Nevada. Volunteers finished the building when NYA funds were diverted to the war effort. Clark County operated a branch library at this site for about a year.
Hospital – Circa 1943
Due to rationing and the difficulty of travel during World War II, the building was converted to a hospital and later a medical clinic. It operated under the direction of nurse Bertha Howe until 1977.
Virgin Valley Heritage Museum – 1985
After the City incorporated in 1984, the building became City property and was converted to a museum. Mementos and artifacts from the area were generously donated by Virgin Valley residents. In 1991 the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fire House – Circa mid-1950’s
The building northwest of the museum served as the first fire station in Mesquite and was staffed by volunteer firemen. The first fire engine was a four-wheel drive army truck donated by Nellis Air Force Base.