Cherry Creek School
Built when Cherry Creek was founded in 1872, it is one of the two oldest standing Nevada schoolhouses. In November 1894 a dispute between Pat Green and Pat Dolan over the building’s location turned violent with Dolan killing Green in a gunfight. With successful mining operations the area population grew to 6000 people and a peak enrollment of 56 students. In 1901 a lantern was fueled with gasoline and exploded. The fire burned several buildings nearly destroying the schoolhouse. After the last class in 1941, the building was used as a post office until 1971. Acquired by Walter Campbell in 1994, the schoolhouse has been converted into a museum.
This historic marker was dedicated June 12, 1999 by the Lucinda Jane Saunders chapter 1881 of E Clampus Vitus.