The Nine Mile Road
The road through Nine Mile Canyon was constructed in 1886 by the Buffalo Soldiers of the U.S. 9th Cavalry to connect Fort Duchesne to the railroad in Carbon County. Most of the stagecoaches, mail and freight passed through Nine Mile into the Uintah Basin, which lead to the development of the canyon and the small town of Harper, presently known as Preston Nutter Ranch. Harper’s population peaked by 1910. The arrival of the Uinta railroad rerouted traffic away from the canyon and Harper became a ghost town by the early 1920’s.
This historic marker is located at the 600 South Trailhead of the Price River Trail, approximately 600 South Carbon Avenue in Price, Utah and was dedicated by the Matt Warner Chapter 1900 of E Clampus Vitus on July 9th, 2011 (6016)