Considered part of North Ogden for its first 30 years, Pleasant View was known during its early days by several names, including West District, Hot Springs District, Stringtown, or simply Out West. The city was officially named Pleasant View in 1882 by Wilford Cragun, one of the first white children born in the area. Mary Lake, daughter of William Bailey Lake and Sarah Jane Marler was born in North Ogden, 15 December 1851. Other early settlers were Thomas Dunn, John Mower, and Simeon Cragun families.
North Ogden located 3 miles north of Ogden is an outgrowth of of that city. It is on U-235, south of Brigham City. The Campbells and Riddles, Cattle ranching families from Ogden, attempted to settle the area in 1850. However, after wintering their cattle only a few months, problems with the Shoshone Indians forced them to return to Ogden. After the problem with the Indians had been partially resolved the following year, John Campbell and several other families returned to permanently settle there.
The Paramount Pictures logo, known as Majestic Mountain, was modeled after North Ogden’s own Mount Ben Lomond. William W. Hodkinson (known as the man to have invented Hollywood), a native of the Ogden area, initially drew the image on a napkin during a meeting in 1914.
During the Indian uprisings in 1853 Brigham Young instructed the settlers to build a fort wall around ten blocks including this block upon which Thomas Dunn, the first Presiding Elder, had erected a six room adobe home in 1851. In 1854 a band of Indians staged a war dance around the house. They were finally pacified and peace restored. The fort wall was never completed as work was abandoned when Indian trouble subsided. After 1952 the city used the home for offices and council meetings.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow. com/dup