First Walker War Casualty, Peter Ludvigson, was killed by the Indians in 1865 three miles south of Sterling. WM. D. and Daniel B. Funk located on Six-Mile Creek in 1872 dug irrigation ditches for farming. Families came later. A Manti branch of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was organized in 1874. WN. B. Petty, President Dixon & Bunts operated first store. Samuel Trenner M. D. was first school teacher. Jane Snow, Catherine Edwards, Fanny Kenner were midwives.
Check out all of the historic markers placed by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers at JacobBarlow.com/dup
In 1873, Daniel B. Funk purchased the winter camp grounds of the Sanpitch Indians situated in Arropeen Valley, one mile east of Sterling, Utah. With the help of President Brigham Young, he obtained from Chief Arropeen a deed to the valley. There he built the lake, planted 65,000 trees and ran a pleasure resort until his death Dec. 30, 1888. Later the resort was operated by Hyrum Moroni Bradley. The lake was 1.8 miles from this monument.