In the 1860′s, a town named Granite was located at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon by ore miners of Alta, Silverton and Tannersville. Its desertion began as the mines closed about 1882. The surrounding country had been settled by Latter-day Saints. Granite Ward organized July 1877, chose Solomon J. Despain, bishop. A rock ward house was used for worship and school until the completion in 1890 of the one-room building on this block.
Four miles east of Sandy City and south of Butler. In 1870 it was a good campsite for teamsters, quarrymen, and miners who were working in the Mormon church granite quarries and the mines in the vicinity. When transportation became more efficient during a time of reduced operations in this area, the camp was abandoned, only to be subsequently rejuvenated with modern, permanent residences. The town was named Granite because of its proximity to the granite quarries that provided the blocks for the Salt Lake Temple.