One D.U.P. Marker in town says:
In June 1870, a group of men left Sessions Settlement, later called Bountiful, seeking a locality for a new settlement. Traveling through Bear Lake Valley to Randolph, they were told that ten miles south was a good place to settle as it had water, beaver, mountain trout, herds of elk, deer and antelope, sage hens, and an abundance of wild fruit. The location was called Twelve Mile Creek. The following May the townsite was surveyed by Joseph C. Rich with homes located in a systematic pattern. It was decided to give it the name of Woodruff in honor of Wilford Woodruff who made frequent trips through the area. Here sixteen families spent the winter of 1871-1872. Woodruff was a typical pioneer community with hardworking people of moderate means. It was settled by men and women who had trades and special skills that helped them to build the buildings, survey the land and care for the sick. Joseph H. Neville was one of the great builders, operating the brick-yard and responsible for brick buildings in the area. William Henry Lee was the first bishop. Wesley K. Walton was the first schoolteacher with thirty scholars. Bert D. Brown was the first mayor.
Woodruff Post Office
Another historical marker reads:
In June 1870 a group of men left Session Settlement (later called Bountiful) seeking a locality for a new settlement. They traveled north, and entered the Bear Lake Valley. They continued over the divide to a new settlement formed from a company from Paris, Idaho, later named Randolph. The travelers were told of a stream of water about 10 mile up that would make a good settlement. After arriving they were more than pleased. They saw the broad valley and green grasses and willows. They made ponds in the streams causing them to overflow, which helped keep the valley green, the mountain trout in the streams, the elk and deer herds in abundance. The Indians were friendly and Chief Washakie was the leader at that time. In May 1871, the town site was surveyed by Joseph C. Rich. (Woodruff is located in Rich County) His survey permitted the location of homes to follow a systematic pattern with George Eastman building the first home. A name was sought for the new settlement and it was decided to give it the name of Woodruff in honor of Wilford Woodruff who made frequent trips to Randolph to visit relative.
During 1895-96 Woodruff area population was around 486 and its residents were anxious for the long awaited day Utah would become a state. Jan. 4, 1896 at 10:00 A.M. the news was wired to Woodruff, and the Town bell (which now hangs at the Town Hall) was rung for five minutes and again at noon. In Dec 1930 Woodruff received its first power lines and also its first power outage as everyone wanted to use electricity. It wasn’t until Dec. 4, 1933 that Woodruff was granted petition by the Commissioners to become incorporated. Its first officers were; B.D. Brown Pres., James Stuart, Rowena Tingy, Cloyd Eastman, and Sarah Cornia as Trustees. In January 1996, 100 years after statehood Woodruff area populations is around 350.
Visit my list of places in Utah.